REPRAPGURU V2 3D Printer DIY Kit Review: High Quality,Amazing Support
For those of you who are mechanically and technically inclined, the RepRap Guru 3D printer kit is an excellent project to introduce you to the world of 3D printing. It’s a complete DIY kit which requires no drilling, cutting or soldering and is made in the USA. This means you’ll have fantastic technical support should you happen to need it.
The RepRap Guru kit is made from quality materials and the build instructions and videos are clear and easy to follow. This kit has received excellent reviews even from people who have never owned a 3D printer before. The build is not difficult if you take your time and follow the instructions closely.
Let’s look at some of the key features of this value for money 3D printer kit.
|Print material||Auto Calibration||Maximum print size(inches)||Heating bed||layer thickness||Customer support||Assembly time||Warranty|
|PLA,ABS,Wood,PVA,More||No||8"x8"x7"||yes||100-500 microns||Excellent||4-8 hours||30 day warranty||Buy on Amazon|
1. MK8 Direct Feed Extruder.
The MK8 extruder included in this kit is compatible with a wide range of filaments. This includes PLA, ABS, Wood, Conductive PLA, Metal composites and dissolvable PVA. This means that the scope of what you can print with this 3D printer is almost limitless. This is especially valuable as your 3D printing experience grows.
The extruder has a 0.04 mm nozzle which allows you to print to a resolution of 100 microns. This means you can get some very good quality prints with fine detail.
2. Heated Print Bed.
The print bed is heated so it will support the use of many different types of filament. It has a Borosilicate glass surface which makes it highly durable and allows your prints to adhere better. The build area is fairly decent, measuring 8 inches x 8 inches x 7 inches. This gives you a large enough print area to print almost anything you want.
3. 2004 LCD Screen And SD Card Reader.
The LCD screen along with the SD card reader allows you to print any 3D files without having to connect the printer to your computer. All you need to do is load the print file onto the SD card and pop it into the slot. Then you use the LCD screen to instruct your printer what to print.
4. Durable Frame.
The frame on this printer is constructed from 1/4 inch premium cast acrylic and has plastic injection molded parts. This not only gives your printer a sleek and professional look but it also gives it durability and strength. And because the parts are injection molded, it means they’ll all go together easily.
5. Custom Spool Holder.
The filament spool holder on this machine is extremely versatile. You can either mount it on the printer frame itself to save on space, or have it free standing on your desk if this suits you better.
6. Exceptional Tech Support.
RepRapGuru has a team of highly trained technicians who can help you with any issues or problems you may come across. You can contact them via email or by using a toll free number.
Many reviews that we read said that the tech support team were very responsive and great to deal with. Issues were solved promptly and replacement parts sent out quickly if they customers needed them.
What’s In The Box?
- All the acrylic pieces necessary to build the frame and support the build platform. The pieces have a brown paper covering to help protect them during shipping. You’ll need to remove this before you start assembling your printer.
- The heated bed and glass build plate. The wires are already soldered on to make it easier for you.
- Threaded rods which have labels on them for easy assembly.
- All the nuts, bolts and washers required for assembly (plus a few spares).
- Wires for the stepper motors and the power supply.
- The belt, zips ties for keeping the wires tidy and binder clips to hold the glass bed in place on the build platform.
- Linear bearings, couplings and pulleys.
- The Arduina mega which is the micro controller for the printer.
- The motherboard and the stepper motor drivers. You get five of these stepper motor drivers but only need four for the initial build. One is for the extruder and one each for the X, Y and Z axis. The extra motor driver is for any future upgrade you might like to make like adding a dual extruder to replace the single one.
- Three end stops – one for each axis. These tell the printer when to change direction.
- A power cable which is pre-stripped and ready for attachment. (some people have said that the power cable is a little short, so you may like to replace it with a longer one while assembling).
- The stepper motors. You’ll also receive five of these because you need two motors to drive the X axis.
- The 12 volt power supply. Make sure it’s switched to 110V (for USA use) when you take it out of the box.
- All other plastic parts needed for assembly.
- The extruder and hot end assembly with a stepper motor already attached.
- A cheat sheet to help with assembly.
How Easy Is This 3D Printer To Assemble?
This complete 3D printer kit is designed for easy assembly so that even 3D printing novices will have no trouble putting this kit together. There are 2 instruction manuals which you can download from the RepRapGuru website. These will easily guide you through the process. We’ll look at these in more depth a little further on.
The first thing you should do when you receive your printer is watch the first RepRapGuru Prusa i3 Build Video which will walk you through everything that comes in your kit. While going through the video, make sure that you have all the parts as per the video. If you do find that something is missing, contact their technical support and they’ll have it shipped out to you immediately.
Then there are 18 successive build videos (there’s a 12.5) which take you through step-by-step assembly and which are very easy to follow. If you take your time and follow along with the videos, you should have absolutely no problem assembling this printer.
Video number 19 takes you through uploading the firmware to the Arduino Mega. It shows you how to download the Arduino software which is compatible with both Windows and Mac and the Marlin firmware. Once again, these instructions are all step-by-step making it super easy to follow along.
After this there are three more videos which take you through the final assembly steps including the wiring of the electronics of your printer.
What Manuals Are Included With This Printer Kit?
There are 2 manuals which you can download for this printer kit which are as follows:
1. Configuration Manual.
This manual includes download links to the required software namely Arduino IDE and Repetier Host. The manual then takes you step-by-step with screen shots, through the configuration procedure needed for this software. Repetier Host is the slicing software which will create the GCode files needed by the printer to correctly print the objects you want printed.
The manual does a pretty good job of explaining all the necessary configuration needed including the leveling of the print bed. It also shows you how to load the filament.
2. 3D Printer Build Manual.
This is basically the written format of the build videos and is also well written and extremely easy to follow.
TIP: Download these manuals from the Google drive rather than the RepRapGuru website. You’ll find a link to this in your printer box.
Where Can You Find Printable Models To Download Once You’ve Built Your Printer?
There are plenty of websites that have STL print files that you can download. The most notable of these is Thingiverse. This is a 3D printer community site which has a special section for the RepRapGuru printers including plenty of print files as well as a community group.
Another place to find 3D print files is the 3D Warehouse. Here you’ll find millions of 3D models which were created in Sketchup. If you want to design your own 3D objects, you can use Sketchup to easily create your own original designs. You can even upload your completed designs on 3D warehouse to share them with other 3D printing enthusiasts.
Tinkercad is another great design program which is extremely easy to use and also has already created design files available for download.
Some General Tips From Users
- There is a contrast screw on the back of the LCD screen which you may need to adjust so that you can see what’s on the screen.
- If you’re having trouble getting the x-axis rods to fit, you may find that there is some slag in the holes. You can eliminate this by using a drill bit to clean out the holes.
- If the prints you’re producing are larger and they start to curl or warp at the bottom, try printing with a raft. You’ll need to add this into the print file before the slicing. Then if the raft does curl or warp, it won’t matter because you’ll remove it from the final print.
- There’s a great forum on the RepRapGuru website where you can ask questions or help others.
What Customers Are Saying
After reading through many reviews, we found that the majority of customers were very happy with this 3D printer kit. There were quite a number of people who had never owned a 3D printer and they all agreed that this was an excellent starter kit.
Another common thread in the customer reviews was the excellent support customers had received from the support team. Some people commented that they had a part or two missing or even a faulty part, and after a call or email to the tech support, a replacement part was shipped free of charge the same day.
Most customers agreed that the kit came very well packed and that the build instructions were fairly easy to follow. There were a few people who had a struggle or two with the assembly but found that their problems were soon fixed with a call to tech support.
For anyone who has an interest in entering the world of 3D printing but has a limited budget, the RepRapGuru 3D Printer DIY kit is definitely worth considering. It’s a complete 3D printer kit and comes with full tech support should you run into any challenges.
The build instructions are fairly easy to follow as long as you take your time and don’t mind using a little patience. Once built, this 3D printer can produce excellent quality prints especially with the heated print bed and an extruder which can accommodate many different types of filament.
It’s a great kit for beginners or anyone who loves building things and wants to get into 3D printing.